Sunday, March 29, 2009

Miscommunication on the Job....

Most of the jobs I’ve had since I started working have been at a restaurant as a server. Miscommunication unfortunately occurs a lot with everyone being in a rush and preoccupied with their tables. It’s very frustrating because sometimes problems come up, say regarding someone else’s table but they’re busy with customers, and miscommunication occurs. One of the worst situations is when you think you and another server agreed on taking their table and the customers end up waiting, creating a big issue. This recently happened to me while working at Longhorn Steakhouse when I thought someone said they would take one of my tables and they were saying “yes” to someone else’s question. It’s tough in a restaurant environment because everyone is so focused on what they’re doing that it’s easy to have many issues with miscommunication. I was frustrated because both the customers and my manager weren’t too happy with the situation and it was all because of miscommunication. After that experience, I will be sure to double check with other servers about switching tables and make sure there is some kind of eye contact involved to avoid it happening again.

No comments:

Post a Comment